South Shore Church - Church History
About

Pastor Simon Beadle  (705-752-5971)

1892 Hwy. 654 West, Callander, Ont. P0H 1H0

A Brief History of South Shore Church

South Shore's story is one of simple prayer and faith that fueled the desire to reach young people in the community during the mid- 1960s.  Local Christians sensed a need to reach the youth of the area and organized a meeting on May 24, 1964 at the local community center with the intent of establishing a church.  The following Sunday approximately 30 people showed up for a service lead by men from the Christian Business Men's Committee.

From the beginning the congregation was intentionally interdenominational with the focus being on its identity as a community church. It adopted the name South Shore Gospel Chapel and the church established its roots in the community and beyond often with people traveling from 40km away to the services, particularly on Sunday nights which was well attended.

By the spring of 1967, the congregation sensed the need to have their own building and launched out in faith and purchased land across the road from the community center.  A simple building was built that opened its doors to the community for the first time on December 3, 1967.

As the congregation grew they looked to an established family of churches to provide the necessary support for their ministry and in 1971 they joined the Missionary Church of Canada, as its 54th congregation in Ontario, and were known as South Shore Missionary Church.

Over the years, despite the building of a parsonage, two significant church additions, and another name change (the merger of two denominations the church's official title became South Shore Evangelical Missionary Church in 1994), the focus has always been on introducing people to Jesus Christ and equipping them to follow him wherever he leads.

Our desire is that you will be a part of this ongoing story as He continues His work through South Shore Church.